Thursday, August 2, 2007

WHO'S THAT GUY WITH THE VIDEO CAMERA?


Jefrodisiac on Peter Noble


(J) Peter, tell us a little bit about your work and how long you've
been doing club videography?

(PN) Well, we're just about to hit the one year mark- I did the first Frisco Disco video when the Scissor Sisters DJd.  I'd always been interested in doing film and I didn't see any video in the club scene. If it was there it was shaky and un-edited so I came up with the idea... What if I take a real filmmaking asthetic, bring it into the underground club setting and just see what happens?  So I did.. and I guess it seems to be working. Haha.

(J) What are the favorite videos you've made?
(PN) One of my favorites is The Rapture DJ set at Arrow bar because it was very challenging to capture all the chaos and energy- especially with no lights. Filming in nightclubs is basically like filming in a dark box, so I had to experiment. I would climb on the bar or stand on speakers or do what ever it took to get in the mix and it was such a great feeling to have a finished product that had great results with such major limitations in filming.



(PN) Also, The Von Iva Blow Up video is another favorite because it packs a lot of content into 3.5 minutes.  It shows how cool and fun the party was and captures all those great spontaneous moments that can be so hard to get.



(J) Do you have any secret editing tricks?
(PN) Well, I film about 40 minutes at each party and I usually wind up with about an 8:1 shooting ratio.  In the beginning I used to use a lot more effects but now I like to let the people just tell the story. One challenge in shooting live is to not disrupt the action.  I like to catch everything naturally as it happens.  Like, I immerse myself in the party but I just happen to have a camera...haha.

(J) What problems do you encounter while shooting in the club?
(PN) Lighting is the number one problem, it's hard so I have to use a light on the camera or use night vision settings but I don't like that Desert Storm look.  Haha.



(J) What tips would you have to someone who was just getting started in nightclub videography?
(PN) I'd tell them not be afraid to be Impressionistic, not shoot like a straight documentary; Use good music and editing and effects to create interest in the images and most of all, capture the energy.


(J) Are there any artists you respect or are inspired by?
(PN) Well, I'm actually influenced by DJs who are really crossing boundaries as far as genres are concerned.  I'm interested in mashing up media styles... taking live action, dancing, people talking to the camera, etcetera, and mixing it all up. That way you get a full view of what's really going on at the party.  I also really love Michel Gondry's work- very vivid and engaging.



(J) Do girls ever ask to see more Peter Noble in your videos?
(PN) Hahahhah... Well... I resist the urge to put myself in front of the camera because it's not really necessary, I'm here to capture to entertainers and the party going on.



(J) What is a little known fact about Peter Noble?
(PN) Hmmm, how long I've been in the scene is a little known fact.  I've actually been around the scene since 92-93 when I was going to The Gathering, Full Moon Rave parties, Wicked parties, etc.  I was into Rave the first time around, before it was Retro-Rave or Nu-Rave.  I first got started in clubs in New York- even before that at Micheal Alic's parties. He would give me a stack of 2000 fliers and I would have to hand initial all of them and I got a nickel for every person that came to the club with one of my fliers... not good money. Hahaha.



(J) So there you have it, the man behind the video camera speaks out, all the questions you were afraid to ask; all the secrets, drama, and studio tricks.

Catch Peter Noble this Sunday as he steps out from the camera again, but this time steps behind the decks to DJ at Meleksah's super fun party PROPAGANDA! SUNDAY AUGUST 4TH @ LASZLO

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

how come you never put me in your videos?

Peter Noble said...

I don't know, myspace me so I know who u are

Anonymous said...

Why don't you have a mustache? You drive a firebird, right? Pretty sure you're required to have a mustache.

Also: I notice you like to film the ladies. Do you trade footage for rammage? Ever filmed yourself caught up in a nine banger?

Anonymous said...

SUCH A BABE